Please join us for the 42nd annual Sam Lapidus Montclair Run on Thursday, November 22nd at the Levite Jewish Community Center. Registration is open now for this very meaningful and extremely fun, family-friendly community event. As we approach Thanksgiving this year, we give thanks for all our friends and families and for those who run and walk and support our efforts to put an end to childhood cancer.
Who was Sam Lapidus?
In November of 2009, the 33rd
Annual Montclair Run became the 1st
Annual Sam Lapidus Montclair Run, honoring the short but very full life of Sam Lapidus. Sam died of Ewing’s sarcoma, a form of childhood cancer just 9 days before his 15th
During the 6 years after his diagnosis, when he was not at school or at Children’s of Alabama receiving treatment, Sam could be found working out and hanging out with his friends at the Levite Jewish Community Center. It was therefore fitting that a year after Sam’s life ended, the JCC’s Montclair Run, held every Thanksgiving morning for over three decades, was renamed in his honor.
Once again, a large portion of the proceeds from this year’s run will be donated to the Alabama Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children’s of Alabama, in honor of all the children and families affected by childhood cancer. All donations stay local and have a direct impact upon children in Alabama and their families, by enhancing services, creating new programs, and recruiting new physicians and researchers.
As we approach Thanksgiving this year, we give thanks for all our friends and families and for all of those who run and walk and support our efforts to put an end to childhood cancer.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
Wednesday, November 21
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM: Registration and race packet pick-up at the Levite Jewish Community Center
Thursday, November 22: (Race Day)
7:00-10:00 AM: same day registration
8:30 AM: 10k/5k start
10:00 AM: Fun Run start
10:30 AM (approximately): Awards ceremony LJCC gymnasium
10k and 5k: $36 (Early registration)
10k and 5k: $40 (After November 16th)
Fun Run: $18
HOW TO REGISTER:
1) REGISTER NOW AT SLMR.ITSYOURRACE.COM
2) In person at the LJCC
3) Race day prior to the start of the event
- USATF Certified Course
- Long sleeve T-shirt to all 10k/5k entrants
- Short sleeve T-shirt to all Fun Run entrants
- RFID chip timing
- Mile markers - Time splits
- Traffic control by police
- Medical aid station at the finish
- Water station at mid-point and finish
- Refreshments: water, Coke, Powerade
- Lockers - Showers - Restrooms
- Super Awards - Trophies, T-shirts, Sport Watches
- Awards to overall and top 3 male and female in each age group winners
- Drawing for a one free year Levite Jewish Community Center membership
- Proceeds benefit the Levite Jewish Community Center (a United Way Agency) & the Alabama Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Disorders at Children's of Alabama
Out and Back with Rolling Hills
Start at the Levite Jewish Community Center, 3690 Montclair Road Birmingham, AL 35213, head west on Montclair Road to Memory Lane; turn around and head east on Montclair Road to Putnam School; turn around and head west on Montclair Road and finish back at the Levite Jewish Community Center.